Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
It should go without saying that I dearly love my family and hope I do not take them for granted. But what about the little things in life? Those little luxuries that make life more enjoyable, and make the day to day routine a lot more pleasant? In 15 days we'll be sitting around a table with family and friends sharing what we're thankful for, so I wanted to get a head start with a list of 15 THINGS (not people) I'm thankful for:
1) The internet! I'm a research hog and I use it for everything. Just tonight I needed a one minute timer and was too lazy to go upstairs, so I just googled 'online timer' and voila, before I knew it I was counting down a minute.
2) Sharpies! No permanent marker writes as deep, dark and flawlessly as a Sharpie.
3) Automatic ice makers! I drink a lot of water, and I like it icy cold. So after many years of filling (and spilling on my way to the freezer) those stupid little plastic trays, I am oh so grateful for my automatic ice maker.....p.s. I think mine's on steroids because it makes a ton of ice!
4) Multi-ply toilet paper! If you think this sounds ridiculous, visit a restroom with single-ply paper. It's the scourge.
5) Fleece! It's wintery around these parts, so it made the list. But seriously, is there anything more delicious than the feel of a soft, fluffy, fleece, pick one....sweatshirt, jacket, vest, robe, etc.?
6) Silicone bakeware! From spatulas to muffin pans, it comes in a wide array of colors, can handle temperatures over 500 degrees and allows baked goods to pop out like they were self propelled.
7) Post-It Notes! No matter how much electronic capability I have within my reach, nothing reminds me of a priority better than a brightly colored 3 x 3 piece of paper stuck to my....again, pick one......mirror, microwave, refrigerator, computer, etc. :)
8) Facebook! Sure, this could probably fall under 'internet' but it's my list and I wanted it to be it's own category. Could I live without it? Sure! Should I live without it? Probably. Do I plan to live without it? No. I love having a super quick glance into the daily lives of my friends and family. From seeing the latest pictures of their twinkly-eyed offspring, to learning what they're doing at that precise moment, to realizing how frustrated they are with the salesperson who won't take no for an answer, it's a phenomenal way to stay instantly connected.
9) Target! It’s my happy place. I’m always in the mood to go there and I rarely leave empty-handed.
10) Fur-trimmed apparel! I’ll admit it, I pet the cuffs on my coat and the collars on my vests.
11) Notecards! I have a pretty nice collection of them. It’s a quick, thoughtful way to convey my feelings. And who doesn’t love getting mail?
12) Gum! I’ve considerably slowed down my chewing, but I still love a good piece of gum, especially bubble gum.
13) Blueberries! They’re a powerhouse! A super food. They’re especially good when they’re dipped in caramel; even if it does take away from the nutritional value.
14) Magnets! I love them. Whether they’re the glassy little gems you stick on your metal bulletin board, or the rare earth magnets that can secure a small child to the refrigerator door, they’re fun.
15) Hairspray! I’m guessing this one doesn’t need any explanation.