Labels

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Table Anatomy!

My husband made a beautiful, farm house style table for our kitchen. It's 8 feet long and seats 10. I am so excited. The best part? The entire table from the wood to the finishing clear coat was around $200.00. He's planning to make a bench for the side with no chairs, but that will have to wait a bit. At least we get to enjoy it for Thanksgiving!

This is the natural, unstained oak butcher block he used to make the entire table.
The staining process.
These are the legs, pre-stain. All 4 legs are pieced together, and this photo shows all of them clamped in place while the glue dries.
The 'greenhouse tent' he installed in the formal living room to create a debris-barrier and warm environment (there's a space heater under there too) to expedite drying times.
The finished product. No turned legs, no intricate detailing, just a beautiful, shaker style farm table designed to last a life time. I wish I'd taken a closer picture, but at least this way the entire table is shown. I really want some new chairs now :) The bench will come fairly soon, but chairs will definitely have to wait!
p.s. The top alone weighs about 300 pounds, so it was a chore to get everything into place. We had to use some creative engineering to allow me to 'help' without using any muscle (because I don't have any :)

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Gorgeous in its simplicity! Isn't nice to have a wood working hubby? My guy does a little here and there and I LOVE every piece:)