Labels

Monday, April 2, 2012

Men's Dress Shirt Re-purpose!

About 6 months ago my sister was getting rid of this really cute dress shirt and I didn't miss the opportunity to snap it up. I knew what I wanted to do with it the minute I got it from her, but it's taken me until now to actually DO it!
Starting underneath the arm, I cut from one seam  to the other to make the skirt.

OK, so my pictures are really out of order.....this is the bow I attached to the neckline of the tee shirt.  It's made from one of the shirt sleeves.

I cut off the sleeve cuffs and attached them to the sleeves of Autumn's tee shirt, to make the outfit look like it was made as a set.  Not gonna lie - these were a beast to sew on.  Initially I pinned the cuffs on and attempted to use my machine, but that failed, so ultimately I did a quick basting stitch by hand to secure the sleeve, then I ran it through my machine.  Much more effective!

Naturally, I retained the buttons from the original shirt.  But Autumn was funny, she was paranoid that a button would come off and her skirt would fall open - so I stitched it closed from top to bottom.  Problem solved!

Here's the final outcome.  An elastic waist skirt, and an embellished tee, all from a dress shirt!  Tomorrow I'm heading to Hobby Lobby to find some alligator clips.  My plan is to make a bow from the other sleeve and have her wear it in her hair!  I love it when a plan comes together :)

Find hundreds of amazing projects (including mine) here:

Skip To My Lou





1 comment:

Grams said...

Loveit!! How fun and very creative. Autumn is a little doll and so cute. Very creative.