Labels

Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunny and 70!

I am one of those people who suffers from a mild form of S.A.D. or Seasonal Affective Disorder. Mine is probably more like the winter blues, or more of a post Christmas let down in reality. I know the brain needs a certain amount of full spectrum light and living here in the tundra we don't always get that beautiful, bright light. Our winter drags on here for a long time and the days take forever to warm up. I do have a few tricks that may be more myth than fact, but I've convinced myself they help. I've read that holding a flashlight directly to the forehead can flood the brain with light and helps the body to release those yummy, feel good hormones we all crave. So if you get close to me and notice a peculiar ring-mark on my forehead, or think you're catching a whiff of 'Sunset Mango' (thank you Bath and Body Works), or come to my house and become overwhelmed by the scent of coconut and sun tan oil, it's not your imagination. It's just me, manipulating my environment to trick my mind into thinking it's sunny and 70!

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Just set your weather report on your homepage to any city in Texas and enjoy looking at 60 and 70 degree weather all winter long! Really last Thursday it was 78 and I was super crabby:( I would pay for a little snow down here. I guess the grass really is always greener.

Clare said...

Or, you can move to Colorado and get the best of both worlds!:) It was 22 degrees and fiercely blowing snow on Monday and then yesterday it a sunny, calm 52! I dislike snow, but now that I am home I guess I can deal with for the sake of the gorgeous mountain views. Still, I am longing for spring, too!

Keck said...

I too understand how much miseration winter produces for us Summer and Spring lovers!! I can't stand snow or winter, I wouldn't even care if there was snow on Christmas! I am so glad that I don't live in Colorado or where you live!!! Winter is a terrible 3 or 4 months for me. And I completly understand the whole flashlight things. LOVE YOU ME