Labels

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Wal-Mart $5 Bag! The Rachel!

 On one of my numerous Wal-Mart shopping expeditions I saw some fairly cute, very basic bags that were made of a light weight canvas with matching handles, and they were only $5.00.  I really wanted to buy one but decided I could make one that I liked even more, in colors of my choosing.  So tonight I checked my fabric selection and decided on a nice red/white/blue striped denim fabric, and set out to make my own version of the Wal-Mart $5 bag, aptly renamed "The Rachel".

The finished product.  It's a little taller than I think I want it to be.  Originally I was going to use it as a tote bag, but now I'm leaning towards a purse, so it should be shorter.  But I'm not tackling that tonight, so I'll carry it 'as is' for a while :)
Unlike the unlined Wal-Mart bag, I wanted mine to have a lining and an interior pocket so I could slip pens, cell phone, keys, and other various items in.  I chose a blue background with white stars as the lining, and used the outer fabric to make a pocket, which I stitched down the middle turning it into two pockets.
Here's a picture of the inside of the bag, showing the two pockets!

When I was finished I thought it looked a little plain, so I created an outer pocket with matching fabric, but turned the stripes the opposite way.  Since the outer pocket was an after thought, it was a little difficult to sew, so my stitch isn't straight.  Nothing a few buttons couldn't fix.  I often use buttons to cover up flaws, and while others might just think they're cute embellishments, I know the truth....they're hiding a multitude of sins :) So there you have it.  My version of the Wal-Mart $5 bag only cuter...and a little more time consuming!

Earlier today Autumn told me she wanted a bag to hold some of her Squinkies (little girl toys - just take my word for it).  I liked my tote bag so much that I decided to use the same fabric for Autumn's draw string bag.
Autumn's bag, with strings pulled open.  She was pleased as punch, and I was happy it only took a few minutes to create!!!

1 comment:

Clare said...

If you didn't tattle on yourself, no one would know that the buttons don't just up the cuteness factor! Good job- and if you make yourself a new one can I have that one?:)