Labels

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Acid Reflux

For the past several months I've really been suffering from acid reflux. I think it started when we were in the process of buying our house (March '08), and it mostly happens when I get stressed out, or if I eat sugary foods on an empty stomach. I have to eat sugar with meals. I guess I could omit it from my diet entirely, but that's absurd. I mean, if you know me at all you know that simply is not going to happen. So last night we were at my in-laws playing baseball with them and the girls and it was like a million degrees, so they came up with this idea to have sundaes. And not just any sundae either. These were served in authentic, old-fashioned ice cream parlor, glass dishes (yes, it makes them taste better). Blissful Dreyer's vanilla bean ice cream was laden with homemade chocolate syrup and caramel sauce, then smothered in whip cream. And since I hadn't eaten ice cream yet that day (because you know I eat it every day) I decided to have one. I totally didn't think about my reflux, until nearly 15 minutes after it was devoured! OUCH! If you've ever suffered from reflux you completely know what I'm talking about when I say it's like you swallowed a golf ball and it's stuck at the bottom of your esophagus, with little flames shooting up around it. If you're one of the fortunate ones who's never dealt with it, let me assure you, it's that bad. I mean it doesn't rank up there with gall bladder disease (which I've also had), but it's pretty miserable. I have to practically live on Prilosec to combat it. I took one last night, and another one tonight. You'd think I'd just give up sugar, but it's not always sugar that causes it, remember I mentioned stress too?! I'd love to give up stress, but with two rambunctious kids and a mortgage, it's pretty much here to stay! Alas, tonight the golf ball has shrunk to a modest gum ball and the flames have subsided, but hopefully tomorrow I won't have to deal with it at all. I need to remind myself of Philippians 2:14 "Do ALL things without complaining or disputing."

No comments: