Labels

Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to Basics

I love fall. It's by far my favorite season. It's not only about the changing colors of the leaves and the crisp afternoon air, it's the kick off for the holiday season. It starts just before Halloween and goes straight through Easter, and while I love fall, I REALLY love holidays. All of them! Anyhow, I digress. Even though I home school my children, I still get excited for the start of the school year. I love to go shopping for pencils, crayons, notebooks and brightly colored, washable markers! I also love to go shopping for new school clothes. (Basically, I just love to shop). So this brings me to the point of this whole post, that I recently began filtering through my kids' drawers and closets preparing them for the changing of the seasons. I discovered they have a ton of items that sit in their drawers and never get worn, as well as items they have outgrown. I used to be a minimalist. The girls would have several of each item they needed, and once it was ruined, faded or outgrown, I'd buy more. But lately I've gotten into this shopping habit where I can't pass up a good buy. Even if the girls have a dozen pink shirts, if I see one for a steal, I buy it. But not anymore. It's time to get back to basics. Drawers, closets and shoe organizers are going to be thoroughly scoured for items that do not meet my criteria. Anything worth saving will get put in the Goodwill box and anything else will get round filed! I'm tired of washing all the laundry and then being aggravated that it won't fit in the drawers. Yes, I'm grateful for plenty of clothing, but it's ridiculous to try to cram in the few items they DO wear with the dozens of items they won't touch! So, let the cleaning commence........right after we get back from Silverwood!

No comments: